[GRASSLIST:5781] Re: comiling problems with Grass5.0.1 under Linux 8.1

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Mar 13 13:38:12 EST 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 06:21:06PM +0100, Karsten Lessing wrote:
> Dear GRASS community,
>
> I am a new LINUX and GRASS user. A couple of days ago I installed LINUX
> 8.1 the first time of my life and tried to instale GRASS 5.0.1 as well,
> but unfortunatelly not successfully !

You probably more precisely meant a GNU/Linux system
as compiled by RedHat or Suse.

> I was (as root) in the GRASS-directory when the following errorline
> occured after typing: ./configure
>
> checking host system type ... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
> checking host for gcc ... no
> checking host for cc ... no
> configure:error:no acceptable cc found in $Path
>
> can anybody tell me
> a.) what cc oder gcc means,

That is the C-compiler.

> b.) how I can solve this problem,
> please ???

If you don't have much experience with building software
and unix in particular you should try to get a binary distribution
of GRASS and not building it yourself.

(There are some available like the FreeGIS rpms and other,
currently don't have the URLs at hand.)

Otherwise you must install a the rpms coming with your distributions
for the software development environment.