[GRASSLIST:6232] Re: gisdbase error

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri May 9 04:34:46 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 02:43:55PM -0300, José Anderson wrote:
> Hello everybody...
>
> I'm new in the GRASSLIST, GRASS and GIS.
>
>  I have successifully run Generic GRASS 5.0.2 but I'm afraid I need some
> help to run XServer GRASS 5.0.0. I have downloaded binary winGRASS XServer
>   and install script .sh. In the same way for xtcltk.
>   I have choosen XFree86 and installed it completely.
>  And, then, since I just completed the GRASS package installation,
>  I have been tried to run 'grass5' on the GYGWIN shell, however
> unsuccessifully!
>
>  This has been the error message for running <grass5> in the shell:
>
>  $ grass5
>  GISDBASE:: not found
>  GRASS_GUI:: not found
>
> Does any of  you have any idea of how to solve this problem?

Yesterday we also have installed the  winGRASS XServer version (note,
there is a 5.0.2 out now, please try that one first!).

You may not install the Cygwin tcltk but the xtcltk from the GRASS web
site, winGRASS section.

Results:
 - graphical startup doesn't work  -> bug in Init.sh?
 - interactive text startup works
 - cmd line startup with path to GISDBASE doesn't work  -> bug in Init.sh?
 - inside GRASS
     - d.mon works
     - tcltkgrass works
     - nviz works (yes!!)

Aparts from a strange problem in the Init.sh, it runs well.

Recommendation for above problem:
- remove the 5.0.0x you have and install 5.0.2
- remove $HOME/.grassrc5
- try again

Markus Neteler