[GRASSLIST:23] Re: GRASS 5.0.2 on Mac OSX and libdl.1.dylib

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu May 15 00:44:06 EDT 2003

Glynn Clements wrote:

> > It's looking for /usr/local/lib/libdl.1.dylib. I have libdl.0.dylib,
> > and libdl.dylib, but no .1. What program installs this?
>
> libdl is a system library, i.e. it will be installed as part of MacOSX
> itself.
>
> I suspect that you may need an OS upgrade (unless OpenOSX decide to
> release a GRASS CD which works with older OS versions).

It appears that I was mistaken. libdl is a system library on "typical"
Unix systems (e.g. Linux, Solaris). MacOSX provides a different API,
but there is a third-party libdl "emulation":

	http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/dlcompat/

My (updated) guess is that the OpenOSX port uses this library (or a
similar library from another source), but they forgot to include it on
the CD.

Copying or renaming libdl.0.dylib to libdl.1.dylib *might* work,
although a change to the version number is normally made to indicate
incompatibility (i.e. to prevent programs from using an incompatible
library).

If it doesn't work, the only options are to either ask OpenOSX.com to
provide the library which they used, or to build it yourself.