[GRASSLIST:170] Re: Still having 5.0.2 problems

Michael Ash mash at econs.umass.edu
Sat May 24 15:01:26 EDT 2003

Recap of the problem:
> > I am ... having some problems with the transition from
> > pre3 to 5.0.2 on Cygwin/WinGRASS/Xserver.
> >
> > - raster maps that I created in pre3 have strange values
> > that look like confusion among datatypes, e.g., huge
> > negative numbers.  I told grasslist that I would recreate
> > the data in 5.0.2 and then report, and I haven't had a
> > chance to do so yet.  I will report as soon as I can, but
> > the project is dauntingly large.

I was able to bypass some of the steps in recreating the
data from scratch. Using s.to.rast on pre3 sites maps I
successfully created 5.0.2 raster maps that have the right
properties (values as expected, no more huge negative
numbers, etc.)

Glynn Clements wrote:
> Odd; the internal format for integer maps hasn't changed
> since 4.3. Is it possible that the maps were created in
> text mode? This will cause \x0a to be written as \x0d\x0a.

I am not sure I understand what is meant by "maps ...
created in text mode."  Text mode in GRASS?  The raster maps
were in any case floats or doubles, not integers.

Anyway, I think that I have resolved the problem
(functionally) but I remain a bit puzzled by what happened.

My thanks to the many grasslist participants, especially
Glynn, Roger, and Moritz who contributed ideas and
solutions.

Best regards,

Michael Ash, Assistant Professor
  of Economics and Public Policy