[GRASSLIST:1634] Re: Mesa3d vs. opengl on mac OSX 10.3

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat Nov 1 00:57:31 EST 2003

Byron Amerson wrote:

> Searching the archives (and the web) proved fruitless, and so I am
> writing.  Thanks in advance for any help and insights.
> In encountering no luck at all in getting Mesa3d to build on my imac
> running OSX 10.3, I am curious if the opengl libraries included with
> OSX 10.3 are suitable for NVIZ?

NVIZ requires a Unix/X11 version of OpenGL. If the MacOSX X11 package
includes an OpenGL library (e.g. /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.*), that will
work. A "native" MacOSX version of OpenGL definitely won't work.
Similarly, NVIZ requires a Unix/X11 version of Tcl/Tk; the native
MacOSX version won't work (tcltkgrass can be made to use the native
MacOSX version of Tcl/Tk with a few small patches, but NVIZ can't).