[GRASSLIST:1686] problem with r.in.gdal

Karine CHALVET-MONFRAY k.chalvet-monfray at vet-lyon.fr
Wed Nov 5 06:02:04 EST 2003

Hello to all,

I am a newbie in free world, it is my first mail to a list (and my english
is poor). My OS is window2000 pro.  I installed cygwin, Xfree86, grass5,
tcltk. And I think tcltkgrass turns correctly.:-). I would like import a
jpg or tiff files as a raster. :-(
Thinking that I have a problem with the libgdal, I downloaded the
libgdal115-linux-grass.tar.gz from http://gdal.velocet.ca/projects/grass/ .
After unpaking, I obtained libgdal.1.1.so and libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3.
Both files are present in cygwin\lib and cygwin\usr\local\grass5\lib. I
just put the files into the directories 'lib'.
I used r.in.gdal command to do import a map (tiff or jpeg).
    * When I used my own jpeg file, I obtained the following message:
        * "Error 6: Unrecognised jpeg color space value of 5."
    * When I used jpeg file obtained from the web, I obtained the following
message:
        * "PROJ_INFO file not found for location temp
        * PROJ_UNITS file not found for location temp
        * CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR ESSAI.1
        * CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR ESSAI.2
        * CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR ESSAI.3"
        * And when I display the raster maps ESSAI.1, ESSAI.2, ESSAI.3,
they are completely white.
    * When I used my own tiff file, I obtained the following message :
        * "Warning 1 : /home/temp/carte.tif:incorrect count for field
"MaxSampleValue" (1, excepting 4); tag ignored
        * PROJ_INFO file not found for location temp
        * PROJ_UNITS file not found for location temp
        * "Warning 1 : /home/temp/carte.tif:incorrect count for field
"MinSampleValue" (1, excepting 4); tag ignored
        * "Warning 1 : /home/temp/carte.tif:incorrect count for field
"MaxSampleValue" (1, excepting 4); tag ignored
        * CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR ESSAI.1
        * CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR ESSAI.2
        * CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR ESSAI.3
        * CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR ESSAI.4"
        * And when I display the raster maps ESSAI.1, ESSAI.2, ESSAI.3 and
ESSAI.4, they are completely green, yellow-green, yellow, yellow respectively.
    * When I used tiff file, which is correct, obtained using r.out.tif
with a rater of spearfish, I obtained the following message:
        * "PROJ_INFO file not found for location temp
        * PROJ_UNITS file not found for location temp
        * CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR ESSAI.1
        * CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR ESSAI.2
        * CREATING SUPPORT FILES FOR ESSAI.3"
        * And when I display the raster maps ESSAI.1, ESSAI.2, ESSAI.3,
they are completely red.
My questions are :
Does r.in.gdal run well?
Where is the origin of the problem? gdal or not gdal?
What do I try?

Thank you in advance for your advices.
Karine