[GRASSLIST:1698] Re: setting multiuser grass enviroment

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Nov 6 06:47:02 EST 2003

Eidan Yoson wrote:

> Hi, I'm a linux sysadmin trying to set up permissions
> for using grass with multiple users accounts. I've
> started tcltkgrass from root account, but from any
> user account gives me permission error.
>
> "you do not have access to any of these mapsets"
>
> I've done the following:
>
> # groupadd workgroup
> # mkdir /usr/local/grass-data
>
> and ungzipped many mapsets (leics, weather, ansi,..)
> there
>
> # chmod -R 2775 /usr/local/grass
> # chmod -R 2775 /usr/local/grass-data
> # umask 002
>
> added users to workgroup
>
> $ newgrp workgroup
> $ grass5 -tcltk
>
> I've realized that every mapset dir & file needs owner
> user permission to start the grass shell, any
> workaround?. I'll appreciatte any help, thanks in
> advance.

Within each location, each user needs their own mapset directory,
which must be owned by that user. Users will be able to read maps in
any mapset, but can only create maps in their own mapset.

You can either:

a) pre-create the mapset directories; as well as creating the
directory, you need to add a WIND file, which can be copied from the
PERMANENT mapset, or

b) make the location directory group writable, and let each user
create their own mapset at the startup screen (however, the tcltkgrass
interface currently doesn't allow this; you have to use the text
interface to create a new mapset).