[GRASSLIST:1704] Re: setting multiuser grass enviroment

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Nov 7 04:22:10 EST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 11:47:02AM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Eidan Yoson wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'm a linux sysadmin trying to set up permissions
> > for using grass with multiple users accounts. I've
> > started tcltkgrass from root account, but from any
> > user account gives me permission error.
> >
> > "you do not have access to any of these mapsets"
> >
> > I've done the following:
> >
> > # groupadd workgroup
> > # mkdir /usr/local/grass-data
> >
> > and ungzipped many mapsets (leics, weather, ansi,..)
> > there
> >
> > # chmod -R 2775 /usr/local/grass
> > # chmod -R 2775 /usr/local/grass-data
> > # umask 002
> >
> > added users to workgroup
> >
> > $ newgrp workgroup
> > $ grass5 -tcltk
> >
> > I've realized that every mapset dir & file needs owner
> > user permission to start the grass shell, any
> > workaround?. I'll appreciatte any help, thanks in
> > advance.
>
> Within each location, each user needs their own mapset directory,
> which must be owned by that user. Users will be able to read maps in
> any mapset, but can only create maps in their own mapset.
>
> You can either:
>
> a) pre-create the mapset directories; as well as creating the
> directory, you need to add a WIND file, which can be copied from the
> PERMANENT mapset, or
>
> b) make the location directory group writable, and let each user
> create their own mapset at the startup screen (however, the tcltkgrass
> interface currently doesn't allow this; you have to use the text
> interface to create a new mapset).

The tcltkgrass interface does allow this (5.3-CVS and 5.7-CVS).
Some time ago I have updated the startup GUI screen. You can
launch it with:

grass5 -gui
grass57 -gui

[ -gui is an alias for -tcltk which can be remembered more easily ]

It missing in GRASS < 5.3 i.e. all official releases (yesterday we
published GRASS 5.0.3).

It may be a good idea to prepare a GRASS 5.3.0 release to make available
all important new features such as datum transformations etc to the
users. GRASS 5.3-CVS works quite well, so that a new release_branch could
be derived from that.

Markus Neteler