[GRASSLIST:1773] Re: import e00-shp fields; linux/grass gis device; line of sight-topology query; pan-zoom feature

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 15:38:11 EST 2003

> I would also like to be able to create new data based
> on our property lot and display it in the same cordinate system as the
> existing county/state data, any recomendations on an inexpensive,
> linux/grass compatible gis device to collect data?

You mean like from waypoints in a  Garmin GPS?
(gpstrans, s.in.garmin.sh, v.in.garmin.sh, ...)

> On another import of shp files it asks for the label and attribute
> fields. When I use fields from dumping on import, regardless of
> combination, when I use the query with mouse, no specific data shows
> up. Where do I find the name of these fields?

v.in.shape -d
?

> Also, how do I get the pan/zoom feature to zoom in? It just keeps
> drawing white boxes and does nothing else.

After setting the first corner with the left mouse button, set the
second with the middle (or both l+r if you only have two buttons).
Hitting the left button again just resets the first corner.

Buttons:
Left:   1. corner (reset)
Middle: 2. corner
Right:  Quit

> One other thing, how would I determine what buildings are within line
> of sight of a proposed broadcasting tower?

r.los or try r.cva.

regards,
Hamish