[GRASSLIST:1444] Bug in s.proj?

David Orme d.orme at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 8 11:22:11 EDT 2003

Hi,

I e-mailed yesterday about a mismatch between Arcmap and Grass 5.0.2
transformations of sites from a global cylindrical equal area location
to a geographic. I've been playing around some more and it looks to me
as if either:

1) s.proj has a bug in it,
2) arcmap has a bug in the transformation of sites or,
3) I've missed something elementary.

I created a point shapefile in arcmap of the centre points of the grid
cells for the CEA location and read this into grass using s.in.shape.
I've checked that the values in the sites file are what I was
expecting. I used s.proj to project these sites into a geographic
(wgs84) location. I also used arcmap to project the original behrmann
points shapefile into wgs84 and then imported this into my grass wgs84
location using s.in.shape. The two sets of sites are not in the same
place - in extreme latitudes the discrepancy is about half a degree. I
won't attach the files to preserve bandwidth but if anyone wants them,
let me know.

Any suggestions?

David

Dr. David Orme