[GRASSLIST:1450] GRASS on OSX -

Hugh Evans hevans at mac.com
Thu Oct 9 01:27:19 EDT 2003

Hi - I'm trying to run Grass GIS 5.0.2. on Mac OS X (from Openosx.com)

The install went smoothly enough but am unable to get the GUI / Window
System running. I have installed Apple X11. I am up to date on all
System SW.

I am able to get a pallete up called "Wish" - however when I try to get
load some kind of rastor - I get the message "No graphics monitor has
been selected for output.
Please run "d.mon" to select a graphics"

I run d.mon and list my displays...
Hit RETURN to return to menu
 > list -f

Monitors:

name            description                    status
----            -----------                    ------
x0              X-windows graphics display     not running
x1              X-windows graphics display     not running
x2              X-windows graphics display     not running
x3              X-windows graphics display     not running
x4              X-windows graphics display     not running
x5              X-windows graphics display     not running
x6              X-windows graphics display     not running
CELL            Create GRASS Raster File       not running
HTMLMAP         Create HTML Image Map          not running
PNG             Create PNG Map                 not running

hit RETURN ->
Examples of other errors:

GRASS 5.0.2 > NavGetReply failed, -128 xterm Xt error: Can't open
display:
GRASS 5.0.2 > tcltkgrass & [2] 2774
GRASS 5.0.2 > xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
NavGetReply failed, -128

I feel like I am so close to getting going on GRASS - but this Monitor
thing is totally hosing me.

Has anyone battled this in OS X? Any advice and guidance would be
appreciated.

Regards,
Hugh Evans