[GRASSLIST:1154] Re: 5.1 under Cygwin

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Wed Sep 10 04:19:34 EDT 2003

Richard,

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 03:46:44PM -0600, Richard Greenwood wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to try 5.1 under Cygwin and I a few questions:
> 1. I need to compile it, binaries are not available, right?

right (volunteer needed).

> 2. The download pages says: "compilation of GRASS 5.1 requires GRASS 5.0
> experimental (CVS HEAD) source code". I do not understand what this means,
> do I need to fetch the CVS 50 head first and then put the 5.1 snapshot
> files in the same directory?

Right:
 - fetch the CVS 50 head
 - get 5.1 snapshot, update with cvs up -dP

Best is to sync both trees with 'cvs up -dP', then you can be fairly
sure that it compiles.

The 'make mix' command will link code from 5.0 into 5.1. In future
the code will be fully migrated, but this needs time (we want to
heavily polish it).

> Is this documented some where?

Yes:
./INSTALL
in the 5.1 code. If this file is not clear, please ask and/or send
text pieces to improve it.

> 3. Has anyone successfully compiled 5.1 under Cygwin?

Me :-) But I had some problems running it, probably due to the
odd MS-Windows box we have here. It was done some time ago,
so the situation may be better now.

Let us know how it works (probably on the 'grass5' list).

Markus