[GRASSLIST:3098] Re: segmentation fault with GDAL

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 13:15:16 EDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Scott W Mitchell wrote:

> > I meant the GRASS binaries: which version and where you downloaded them
> > from? I notice the 5.0.3 Linux binaries on the website are quite recent so
> > if the fault occured with them then it is possible that whoever created
> > them didn't use the --with-gdal configure option and they should be
> > re-done.
>
> Not that this helps much with the current problem (maybe), but I'm pretty
> sure that I made those binaries.  I just checked, and (1) I used the
> --with-gdal switch, (2) r.in.gdal is working on my machine, and (3) I used
> GDAL 1.2.0 (CVS) as of March 5.

Then there is a good chance that the other recently-found bug in r.in.gdal
will have been causing the problem. 5.0.3 still contains this bug, but I
copied the fix to the release branch yesterday:
http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass-commit/2004-April/011397.html

As the bug was something to do with the unit name, it is perhaps more
likely to occur on a non-georeferenced file, like a JPEG. Maybe this was
the problem... did you try it with a JPEG image on your machine.

If that was the problem, we could always do new binaries using the latest
release branch code, but then it wouldn't be true 5.0.3.

Really shouldn't bother with 5.0.3 any more though :)

> Would it cause problems if the binary GDAL build involved is a different
> version than the one I built with?

But did you not include the gdal library in the GRASS binary distribution,
so it is the same one as you compiled with? I suppose if there is more
than one GDAL installed on the system the potential for that is there
though.

Paul