[GRASSLIST:4225] DBMI-Postgres driver error

Martin Wegmann wegmann at biozentrum.uni-wuerzburg.de
Mon Aug 23 05:55:32 EDT 2004

hello,

I did my first steps with postgresql and grass and ran into some problems:
First I created an user and set up a db ("grass_test")

starting grass (5.7.0):
db.connect driver=pg database="host=localhost,dbname=grass_test,user=baliola"

I am not sure if "host=localhost" is correct. In all documents I read so far,
an IP address was specified but using 127.0.0.1 resulted in the same error
prompt. What do I enter when postgresql is running
locally?

If I proceed and do  'db.test grass_test' then db.test tells me that the db
must exist.
If I do db.test test1 I get:

DBMI-Postgres driver error:
cannot get user/password

and various Postgresql commands

Any idea how to solve that?

I am still searching for a tutorial introducing people to the postgresql
inside GRASS usage, so far I found
http://mpa.itc.it/markus/shortcourse/notes6.html  and
the GRASS 5.7 usage example document. any links are welcome.

regards, Martin