[GRASSLIST:2701] Re: stitching geotiffs

Martin du Saire mdusaire at umn.edu
Fri Feb 20 12:46:05 EST 2004

Outstanding!  Thank you Richard and  Glynn.  I think I may eventually have
to r.patch the individual maps.  I was playing around with two maps within
a single zone, and the r.stats -a -n map1,map2 output did not reflect what
I expected to be the composite of the two (Actually, the numbers made no
sense at all).  One last question:

Without having specific datum in my adjacent zones (14, 16), is there some
way to make upper-bound estimates on the amount of distortion resulting
from the r.proj method=nearest (the maps are land-use/cover)?

Thanks again.

Martin

At 10:06 AM 2/20/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Martin du Saire wrote:

>>>If you are importing an image in UTM Zone X into a location defined as
>>>UTM Zone X, then you are doing the correct thing by using -o. (You
>>>should not use -o to import Zone X into a location of Zone Y). You may
>>>also want to use -e, which extends the location if needed.
>>
>>So I can import a Zone X map into a Zone Y location?  Is this any
>>better/worse than using r.proj?  The bulk of my area of interest is in a
>>single UTM zone (Zone Y), so maybe the distortions generated by importing
>>Zone X and Zone Z maps into a location of Zone Y will be small??
>
>No. Sorry I was not clear. You must use r.proj. Import Zone 14 maps into a
>Zone 14 location. Zone 15 into a Zone 15 location, etc. And then use
>r.proj to bring your Zone 14, and Zone 16 maps into your Zone 15 location.

<snip>