[GRASSLIST:2703] Re: stitching geotiffs

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Fri Feb 20 17:38:15 EST 2004

Martin du Saire wrote:

> Outstanding!  Thank you Richard and  Glynn.  I think I may eventually
> have to r.patch the individual maps.  I was playing around with two maps
> within a single zone, and the r.stats -a -n map1,map2 output did not
> reflect what I expected to be the composite of the two (Actually, the
> numbers made no sense at all).  One last question:
>
> Without having specific datum in my adjacent zones (14, 16), is there
> some way to make upper-bound estimates on the amount of distortion
> resulting from the r.proj method=nearest (the maps are land-use/cover)?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Martin

That's a hard question that I will not try to answer directly. Map
distortion can involve linear, directional, and/or area distortion. So
first you have to define which of those are relevant to your
application. I think in your case the most significant distortion will
be angular. And I would guess that areas would be most important for
land use applications. Within a UTM zone I am thinking that area
distortion is limited to about 0.04% because the central meridian has a
scale factor of 0.9996 (anyone is welcome to correct me on that). But as
you move outside the zone, the increase in distortion would not be linear.

I am kind of a trial-and-error guy, so if it was me, I would simply
reproject the extreme cases into the target location and see if they
meet your requirements. Extending UTM zones is not generally considered
a good practice (although I am guilty of having done it a couple times).
A better solution might be to create a projection for your project.

--
Richard Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com