[GRASSLIST:2709] Re: stitching geotiffs

Martin du Saire mdusaire at umn.edu
Sun Feb 22 08:04:37 EST 2004

At 03:38 PM 2/20/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Martin du Saire wrote:
>
>>Outstanding!  Thank you Richard and  Glynn.  I think I may eventually
>>have to r.patch the individual maps.  I was playing around with two maps
>>within a single zone, and the r.stats -a -n map1,map2 output did not
>>reflect what I expected to be the composite of the two (Actually, the
>>numbers made no sense at all).  One last question:
>>Without having specific datum in my adjacent zones (14, 16), is there
>>some way to make upper-bound estimates on the amount of distortion
>>resulting from the r.proj method=nearest (the maps are land-use/cover)?
>>Thanks again.
>>Martin
>
>That's a hard question that I will not try to answer directly. Map
>distortion can involve linear, directional, and/or area distortion. So
>first you

Thanks again.

Having a little trouble with r.proj though:

ERROR> Input map is outside current region

I read the thread that involved some problem with southern hemisphere
projection data from U of Maryland...I am working in the NE USA...geotiffs
from the USGS site (for what that is worth).

Region/projection info for the location I am attempting to project the map
into are:

g.region -p

projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       19
datum:      nad83
ellipsoid:  grs80
north:      2734830
south:      1944930
west:       1721790
east:       2041380
nsres:      30
ewres:      30
rows:       26330
cols:       10653

g.projinfo

PROJ_INFO file:
name:    UTM
datum:   nad83
dx:      0.000000
dy:      0.000000
dz:      0.000000
proj:    utm
ellps:   grs80
a:       6378137.0000000000
es:      0.0066943800
f:       298.2572221010
zone:    19
PROJ_UNITS file:
unit:    meter
units:   meters
meters:  1.0

Region/projection for the map are:

projection: 1 (UTM)
zone:       18
datum:      nad83
ellipsoid:  grs80
north:      2368230
south:      1944930
west:       1721790
east:       1988670
nsres:      30
ewres:      30
rows:       14110
cols:       8896

PROJ_INFO file:
name:    UTM
datum:   nad83
dx:      0.000000
dy:      0.000000
dz:      0.000000
proj:    utm
ellps:   grs80
a:       6378137.0000000000
es:      0.0066943800
f:       298.2572221010
zone:    18
PROJ_UNITS file:
unit:    meter
units:   meters
meters:  1.0

I tried to the expand the current region a little (North:280000,
South:1900000, West:1700000, East:2100000), but that didn't help.

Help. Thanks again, this GIS stuff is quite fun.

Martin