[GRASSLIST:2381] best way to extract stream network

Christopher Fonnesbeck chris at fonnesbeck.org
Wed Jan 28 14:43:06 EST 2004

I am having a great deal of trouble extracting a useable stream layer
from a DEM using r.terraflow. Using r.mapcalc and r.thin, I am able to
derive a layer that can be converted to a vector, but the resulting
stream network has all sorts of broken lines and capillary-like
artifacts (see attached file). I would use r.watershed, but my coverage
is too large (about 3000 x 3000). Any tips from others that have
successfully derived stream layers in GRASS?

Thanks,
Chris
--
Christopher J. Fonnesbeck ( c h r i s @ f o n n e s b e c k . o r g )
Georgia Cooperative Fish & Wildlife Research Unit, University of Georgia