[GRASSLIST:3686] re: r.proj taking too much time?

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jun 17 01:29:35 EDT 2004

> Hi all,
>
> I have started to do some projections, and while vector projections
> have gone very well, I'm having trouble with raster projection.
> Specifically, r.proj seems to take forever.  As far as I know this is
> not a very large raster file.  Projecting from lat-lon to UTM has been
> running my processor all out for 30 minutes, but still has not yet
> reached 1%.  It sill reads:
>
> Projecting... 0%
>
> I've not done much raster projection, so I don't know if this is
> normal.  Can anyone offer advice?

r.proj shouldn't take that much time. What is your resolution set to?
If you have been reprojecting vectors, your region may be set to a very
fine resolution (e.g., 1 m), while your raster covers an enormous area
(though with relatively few cells).

Michael

C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA