[GRASSLIST:3793] Re: unable to initialize GDAL bridge

Grant Yip yip at umail.ucsb.edu
Wed Jun 30 13:56:57 EDT 2004

This is a follow-up to my problem with GDAL and installing a functional
GRASS53 for cygwin on a windows xp pro os.

I followed everyone's suggestions about compiling GRASS53 without ODBC and
other checks that were giving me errors, these included proj and
FFTW.  Compiling from source took a while and it finished without fanfare
(i.e. it didn't give me a 'welcome to grass53 message and type grass53 to
begin' that i recalled seeing with the binaries).  The GDAL function
finally worked but nviz stopped working.  GRASS gave me the following error:

Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
F:/cygwin/share/tcl8.4 F:/cygwin/usr/local/grass53/etc/share/tcl8.4  etc...

This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

can't read "src_boot" no such variable while executing
"source &src_boot/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/config.tcl"
(file "/usr/local/grass53/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script" line 21)

Then GRASS lists the following error:

child process exited abnormally
while executing
"exec /usr/local/grass53/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f
/usr/local/grass53/etc/nviz2.2./scripts/nviz2.2_script -q -name
NVIZ >&@stdout"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f
$env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script $argv -name NVIZ >&@stdout"
invoked from within
"if {$argv == ""} {
#no arguments
eval exec $env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/NVWISH2.2 -f
$env(GISBASE)/etc/nviz2.2/scripts/nviz2.2_script -name NVIZ >&@stdo..."
(file "/usr/local/grass53/bin/nviz" line 16)

It appeared that GRASS was looking for files in folders that didn't exist
and in an older GRASS directory that I installed from a binary (the version
for GRASS53 I compiled from source went to a directory named grass-5.3.0,
not grass53).  I decided that I probably needed a fresh start since I had
been trying to install GRASS and it's libraries for a week or so and may
have files placed in directories all over the place.

I uninstalled and deleted previous installations of GRASS and Cygwin.  I
then reinstalled Cygwin from scratch and the newly posted GRASS53 binary
(6-29-2004) from www.greenwoodmaps.com, and the tcltk8.3.4 binary from the
GRASS website and built gdal-1.2.1 from source from
www.remotesensing.org/gdal.  GRASS53 now appears to be working fine without
any errors.

thanks for the help.

grant

On a sidenote, there doesn't appear to be a link from the official GRASS
website or it's mirrors to the GRASS53 Cygwin binary even though the
directory exists.  I don't know if this is intentional since it is a CVS or
an oversight (http://grass.itc.it/grass53/binary/mswindows_cygwin/).

At 10:36 PM 6/28/2004, Glynn Clements wrote:

>Grant Yip wrote:
>
> > >Odd. What does the Makefile look like?
> >
> > Actually, it wouldn't make it past './configure'.  the program goes
> through
> > a series of 'checking for...' messages and stops at the following message
> > 'configure: error: ***Unable to locate ODBC library' at which time it
> jumps
> > to the command prompt.  I cannot go any further at this point and cannot
> > enter the make or make install commands..
> >
> > I have the required libraries listed on the GRASS REQUIREMENTS page,
> > including unixodbc2, which I guess is the ODBC library the program cannot
> > find.  Do you have any suggestions for getting around this error so that I
> > can compile from source?
>
>Use --without-odbc to disable the ODBC checks and the programs which
>use ODBC (none of which are particularly important).
>
>--
>Glynn Clements <glynn.clements at virgin.net>

Grant Yip
Department of Geological Sciences