[GRASSLIST:2877] Re: v.in.shape

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 17:43:54 EST 2004

> Hello from a new user. I am currently running Grass V5.0.2.
>
> I am attempting to bring in tax parcel information from a county
> supplied in shape format, and am wondering if v.in.shape can do what I
> want it to. I have managed to import the shape file using v.in.shape,
> and the parcel boundaries appear correct. Now I would like to be able
> to see the landowner data stored in the associated dbf file.
>
> If I understand a message posted to this listserve some time ago,
> v.in.shape does not import all the fields from the dbf. I believe that
> the suggestion in that older message was to create multiple maps with
> category label = field of interest.

Yes; the -d flag will list available fields, as will the [non-GRASS]
"dbview" program. The old GRASS vector format could only deal with one
attribute.

> Is this still the case, or is there now a better way.

Now there is a better way, GRASS 5.7 (experimental). The vector system
has been totally rewritten and supports full database connectivity.

Use v.in.ogr.

Hamish