[GRASSLIST:3465] Re: Geophysical/Potential field modules for GRASS?

Benjamin Ducke benducke at compuserve.de
Sat May 22 03:47:50 EDT 2004

As an archaeologist, I also work with geophysical data
regularly (especially gradiometer data). So far,  I have used proprietary software,
such as Geoplot to view and filter data (trend removal/destriping, low/high pass filters etc.).
But I think that GRASS is, in principle, an ideal platform
for such tasks. I have already spent some time laying out an infrastructure for
geophysical data processing with GRASS.
I have also made plans to create some module myself - in the near future ;)
The wonderfull "Scientific Applications on Linux" web repository (http://sal.jyu.fi/index.shtml)
has a category for "Computer Graphics, Images & Signals: Processing & Visualization".
In it, I found a link to the "XITE" image processing tools.
XITE also has an open source C library that seems to have ever imaginable
high-level functionality one would need.
I think one could get started ang get functionality very quickly by integrating this library with
GRASS.
So, if there is any serious interest in getting GRASS up to par with Imagine and the like,
maybe we should pull forces together and start coding?
Anyone else interested in this sort of functionality?

Cheers,

Benjamin.