[GRASSLIST:6478] Sites and GSLIB

seba sebastiano.trevisani at unipd.it
Fri Apr 15 03:53:11 EDT 2005

Dear list member: a couple of questions:

1- Migrating from Grass5.4 to Grass 6 I see that "sites" data object no
longer exists. Personally, I found this a little drawback (clearly this
could be a drawback only for me and maybe I was using the incorrect
procedure: tell me !!!!!), especially when trying to importing huge amount
of point cloud data (i.e. for example when using data collected by means of
airborne laser scanning technology: millions of points). I found really
difficult to import elevation data and execute interpolation (compared when
using grass5.4 with sites): it seems that I need to link the imported
vector points to a database table in order to define the column category.
Then I`m wondering if using the "vector" format there is more memory
consumption than when using "sites" format. Have you any suggestions?

2- I`m interested in visualizing 3D grid file generated by geostatistical
tools (mainly GSLIB library: SAsim, Sisim, 3dKT....) in NViz...have you any
example file of a 3d grid text file in order to import it in Grass? I would
like to write a small code to convert the  GSlib format to Grass format

Thank you in advance for your time

Sebastiano T.