[GRASSLIST:7880] using r.fill.dir

Armando Scalise armandoh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 22:59:13 EDT 2005

I need to estimate the areas of a set of lagoons for differente water height
scenarios.
I am using the SRTM 30 DEM and I was hoping to apply r.fill.dir, to get the
water height.

The documentation for r.fill.in <http://r.fill.in> stgates that "The
procedure takes an elevation layer as input and initially fills all the
depressions with one pass across the layer".

Unfortunately, there is no specification as to how tis is done. I have
searched for the paper describign the algortihm on whihc
r.fill.in<http://r.fill.in>is based "Software Tools to Extract
Structure from Digital Elevation Data
for Geographic Information System Analysis" by S.K. Jenson and J.O. Domingue
(1988). but I have been unable to find it in the internet.

I need to ask two questions:
1) is there any other method you would reccomend in addition to
r.fill.dirto compute water height/areas ratio for depressions using a
DEM?
2) Anybody has a copy of the above cited paper or a detailed description of
the algortuhm?

Cheers thanks

Armando Scalise

il.com <http://il.com>