[GRASSLIST:7952] Re: r.proj takes a very long time / does not complete

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 17 14:57:30 EDT 2005

A rule of thumb that I use is that 1 arc-second equals 30 meters.  This
is close enough for the work that I do.  It varies away from the
equator, and I am not sure if it is exactly 30 meters, it probably
depend on the type of ellipsoid used for the earth.  Hope this helps.

-Ian

On Aug 17, 2005, at 11:41 AM, Jason Horn wrote:

> Ian, Morten,
>
> Thanks so much for pointing out the problem.  I have seceded in
> projecting the raster layer, with the help of the v.in.region box
> trick.  I have set the resolution to an approximation of what I think
> is right.  However, how can I really match the resolution in the new
> state plane location to the resolution from the old lat-lon location?
>
> - Jason
>

> On Aug 15, 2005, at 5:25 PM, Ian MacMillan wrote:
>
>> A simple way to do this is to make a vector box of your region in the
>> first location using v.in.region.  Go to your new location, v.proj
>> that vector in, and set your region to the new vector.  Then use
>> r.proj on the raster you want to project.  You will still have to set
>> the resolution on your own though.  Hope this makes sense.
>>
>> -Ian
>>
>> On Aug 15, 2005, at 2:14 PM, Morten Hulden wrote:
>>

>>> No wonder it takes forever. Your output location has 527482690275
>>> cells (847325 x 622527) to project.
>>>
>>> You should adjust the boundaries or resolution of your NAD83
>>> location to something more reasonable. Before running r.proj try to
>>> set a resolution value that roughly matches the resolution of your
>>> input map (g.region res= ), e.g. something like 1000 m.
>>>
>>> Don't know about boundaries for your location (TX unknown area to
>>> me) but you may want to check those as well. No need to cover more
>>> than what is necessary.
>>>
>>> rgds
>>> Morten

What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we
can assume it will be pretty bad.
  - Dave Barry

This message has been scanned by anti-virus software.