[GRASSLIST:9468] Re: projection of vector points from v.in.ascii

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 22:27:54 EST 2005

> The ascii file with Lat/Long that I used via v.in.ascii to produce the
> interpolated raster, needs to be first imported to a LatLong location
> and then reprojected to the Lambert Conformal Conic/NAD83 location
> where  I have map files. Is this right?

yes, after importing into the LL location, restart in the LCC/83
location and run v.proj.

> Should I be able to import a vector with latitude and longitude to any
> location or not?

Only via v.proj, not directly..

But you can pass it through PROJ4's cs2cs first. see the $IN_PROJ,
$OUT_PROJ, and cs2cs bits in the v.in.garmin script; ie (generally) to
go from WGS84 lon/lat to current projection:

IN_PROJ="+proj=longlat +towgs84=0.000,0.000,0.000"
OUT_PROJ="`g.proj -jf`"

cs2cs -f %.7f $IN_PROJ +to $OUT_PROJ < infile.txt > outfile.txt

If source projection is not LL/WGS84, use g.proj to get correct input
string.

cs2cs is probably already installed on your system.

Hamish