[GRASSLIST:9489] Re: aaargh! another location lost

James Plante jimplante at charter.net
Wed Dec 14 22:23:14 EST 2005

Ian MacMillan wrote:

> Hi all, so I hate to write about this again, but somehow I have had
> another location erased while using imagery commands.  This is the
> second time this has happened to me.  I have a hard time narrowing
> down how it happened this time, but last time I was using i.points,
> and a location disappeared (~300 MB of data) (GRASSLIST 8827).  This
> time I couldn't pin down which imagery command did it (I can only pin
> it down to a 5 minute time frame), but I again encountered problems
> using i.points.  I tried to run the program, but got a 'false start'
> where after entering the imagery group in the pop-up terminal window,
> the terminal window disappeared, and i.points never started up.
> Within minutes after this, I noticed that the target location had been
> erased (another ~500 MB down the drain).  Again, checking my
> bash_history, there is nothing there that would indicate a command
> that would do this.  I have also checked my whole computer for this
> location (or any files in it), to no avail.
>
> I am running 6.1cvs (Dec-12 Lorenzo's binaries) on mac 10.3.9.
>
> I can't understand what can be happening.  I have tried repeating my
> steps exactly, and can not get the same error in the program to
> occur.  I have no idea how to isolate the issue at all.  I have had no
> other troubles with this computer in 1.5 years of use, it has plenty
> of memory, and runs really smooth (like most macs).
>
> This is really strange behavior obviously, but very troublesome to me
> since it has happened twice now, though with slightly different causes.
>
> I have no idea how to test for this behavior, and looking at the
> result in this behavior multiple times.  Any other ideas out there?
>
> -Ian
>

> PS I know I need to back up data, and I do, but this is still
> infuriating.

> This message has been scanned by Postini anti-virus software.

At the risk of suggesting the obvious, have you run a virus scan? I
could see perhaps a corrupted file, but completely erased suggests
something other than GRASS. Do you have a disk utiltiy which can unerase
or recover files?

I wouldn't have the temerity to suggest something so obvious, except for
the fact that the Mac is seldom visited by viruses. As a result, we
often fail to check for them regularly.