[GRASSLIST:9491] Re: aaargh! another location lost

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Dec 15 03:37:35 EST 2005

Ian MacMillan wrote:

> Hi all, so I hate to write about this again, but somehow I have had
> another location erased while using imagery commands.  This is the
> second time this has happened to me.  I have a hard time narrowing down
> how it happened this time, but last time I was using i.points, and a
> location disappeared (~300 MB of data) (GRASSLIST 8827).  This time I
> couldn't pin down which imagery command did it (I can only pin it down
> to a 5 minute time frame), but I again encountered problems using
> i.points.  I tried to run the program, but got a 'false start' where
> after entering the imagery group in the pop-up terminal window, the
> terminal window disappeared, and i.points never started up.  Within
> minutes after this, I noticed that the target location had been erased
> (another ~500 MB down the drain).  Again, checking my bash_history,
> there is nothing there that would indicate a command that would do
> this.  I have also checked my whole computer for this location (or any
> files in it), to no avail.

Do any of the directory names involved (database, location, mapset,
map names) contain any "odd" characters (e.g. spaces or symbols)?

i.points uses system() to execute various commands, which tends not to
work correctly if a file or directory name includes any characters
which are sigificant to the shell.

Also, are you sure that the location has actually been removed, and
not just moved to some obscure location? You might try running e.g.:

	find / -type d -name PERMANENT -print
	find / -type f -name WIND