[GRASSLIST:9600] Re: Using unixODBC to connect GRASS to MySQL [Mac] - please test iODBC anyone

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed Dec 21 20:21:48 EST 2005

That was something I was going to ask the list about.  I had asked
Nick Cahill offlist about testing my GRASS with iODBC (that's where
that installer came from) and FileMaker.  I haven't heard anything
yet, so I was going to ask the list next, tho probably the dev list.

Maybe the user list would be better to ask.  So, the download again:

<http://www.kyngchaos.com/macosx/files/grass-6.1cvs.pkg.zip>

This GRASS is built with iODBC instead of UnixODBC.  Or you can roll
your own with iODBC by replacing -lodbc with -liodbc in configure.

There are a few Mac ODBC possibilities (available as binaries):

- MySQL - mentioned already.

- FileMaker - this needs someone with FileMaker Pro or Server 7+ to
be able to test the ODBC driver, or access to a FileMaker Server
database where someone can download and install the FileMaker ODBC
driver (free, in the Developer/Resources section).  ODBC driver
installation is available as a separate pdf download, and should also
be with the FileMaker software.

- MS Access - a tough one, but would give access (hehe) to the new
GDAL/OGR Personal Geodatabase import feature.  The drivers I found
(EasySoft, $$$) act as a bridge, so you have to have a Windows PC
with Access server ($$$), I think, on the other end.

Of course you could build other drivers for iODBC yourself if you
have the source.  But it's those ready-made, commercial ones that are
what we want, and those are made for iODBC since that's what Apple
gave us.

If anyone can test these, at least FileMaker, that would be great.
If it works, maybe iODBC could be made as a config option for GRASS
(ie a choice of UnixODBC or iODBC).

On Dec 21, 2005, at 6:17 PM, Hamish wrote:

>> I believe the MySQL ODBC connector binary is meant for iODBC as
>> provided by Apple in the system.  GRASS uses UnixODBC.
>>
>> GRASS can be made to use iODBC instead - I think the ODBC API is
>> standard.  I have built GRASS with iODBC instead of UnixODBC, but
>> haven't tested it yet.  I have an installer that you can try (it
>> would be nice to get some testing to see if this works):
>>
>> <http://www.kyngchaos.com/macosx/files/grass-6.1cvs.pkg.zip>
>

> Has anyone had luck connecting File Maker Pro on OSX to GRASS via
> *ODBC?
>

> Hamish

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro