[GRASSLIST:9643] Re: water resource management with GRASS & RDBMS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Dec 25 22:23:17 EST 2005

Replying to MS and Massimiliano,

I spent a little time trying to see what it is that ArcHydro actually does.
It is indeed a complex hydrological data model, in part due the fact that it
is operationalized in a vector environment. A large part of the ArcHydro
data model looks like it could be done in the GRASS environment with an
RDBMS (a number possible with GRASS, including PostgreSQL [with PostGIS],
MySQL [widely known and also has a spatial data extension, though the latter
doesn't seem as well known as PostGIS], SQLite [compact, with all tables in
a single file]). The availability of network analysis tools for GRASS and
the fact that it is topological are helpful in this regard.

That said, it seems at an admittedly brief glance, that a considerable
amount of ArcHydro functionality could be achievable and perhaps simpler
using the GRASS raster tools. Hydrological analysis and modeling has a long
history in GRASS and is particularly well developed, with numerous
modules--including, for example, r.flow, r.terraflow, r.basin.fill,
r.watershed, r.topmodel, etc.

When these are combined with the mapcalculator and scripted, you can do a
lot.

Michael
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ 85287-2402