[GRASSLIST:5663] Large dataset questions

Jose Luis Gomez Dans jgomezdans at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 7 09:14:51 EST 2005

Hi!
I have a set of files of x,y,z,smooth data points. The
files are large
(there are around 45 million points in total). I would
like to use
these data set as an input to v.surf.rst, with a given
tension
parameter, and to use each record's smooth column
(i.e., it's 4th
column) as a smooth factor in the option smatt. I am
using Debian, so I
have a choice of grass 5.0.3 (official) or 6.0beta2
from DebianGIS
(well, I could always compile from source, but...). I
have thus far
used the beta2 version (and 5.7 on another computer,
but that's another
story). My problems are probably to do with my poor
understanding of
GRASS, but I cannot load the input files. To read them
in, I use the
following command:
v.in.ascii input=<input> output=<output>  x=1 y=2 z=3
cat=0
Maximum input row length: 36
Maximum number of columns: 4
Minimum number of columns: 4
column: 1  type: double
column: 2  type: double
column: 3  type: double
column: 4  type: integer
 (my files are x|y|z|smooth, so it's detecting
everything OK)

This either results in some error at some particular
point (which looks
fine), or:
 v.info glas
ERROR: Cannot open old vector output at mapset on level 2

I don't understand why this happens? Can anyone give
me any hints on how
to load the files?

Many thanks!
José

--
Jose L Gomez-Dans, Research Assistant
Bristol Glaciology Centre, Geographical Sciences/CPOM