[GRASSLIST:5667] Re: Importing Data.

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 18:34:50 EST 2005

> 1. Save the ARC-INFO files as SHAPE files

(ie for vector data; for raster data you can load an Arc binary grid
into GRASS with r.in.gdal)

> 2. Open a NEW location in the 1st menu, just take XY coordinate
> system, accept what ever prompts are give, for region.
>
> 3. U will find this file as a vector added to Ur dataset. IMPORT it
> with '-o' in the command.

(with v.in.ogr)

I think it might be better to either create a new location of the
correct projection (if known) or use v.in.ogr or r.in.gdal with the
location= option to create a new location with the correct projection
parameters automatically (make sure shape files generate .prj!) rather
than leavcing it unset and overriding the projection check with -o.

You only have to do this once, best to get it correct at the beginning I
think.

> 4. Go to the GIS menu and set this vector as a region.

g.region vect=your_map

etc

Hamish