[GRASSLIST:5721] Re: mpeg_encode: can't load dynamic linker

Jachym Cepicky jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz
Thu Feb 10 15:53:16 EST 2005

so,
there was an bug (I suppose so) in mpeg_encode source. Now it runs. I have
reported to author, but the source code is from 29.11.1995, so I don't know, if anyone
will read it.

For those of you, who want to compile mpeg_encode:

1) download the file mpeg_encode-1.5b-patched-src.tar.gz from
    ftp://mm-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/multimedia/mpeg/encode/

2) edit the file libpnmrw.c, comment the line no. 129 out
    /*extern char* sys_errlist[];*/

3) run "make", it worked by me.

Jáchym

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 07:07:31PM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> Jachym Cepicky wrote:
>
> > I wanted to produce some mpeg movie with NVIZ, but the mpeg_encode says:
> >
> >     /mpeg_encode: can't load dynamic linker '/lib/ld.so'
>
> That suggests that your mpeg_encode executable was built for a
> relativly old Linux distribution (i.e. one which uses libc5, maybe
> even libc4).
>
> It might be possible to get it to run by installing some kind of
> "compat" package.
>
> Or it may not, depending on just how old the mpeg_encode binary is.
>
> > I tryed to make the symlink (/lib/ld.so -> ld-2.3.2.so), but it didn't help.
>
> It won't. ld-2.3.2.so is the glibc-2 (aka. libc6) loader; it isn't
> compatible with older versions of libc.
>
> --

Jachym Cepicky
e-mail: jachym.cepicky at centrum.cz