[GRASSLIST:5909] nviz running out of memory

Abhijit Menon-Sen ams at wiw.org
Fri Feb 25 03:01:28 EST 2005

I want to use nviz to render a 3d surface from a PAN-sharpened Landsat
composite and an SRTM tile. When I tried this on a machine with 2GB of
physical memory, I got:

  $ nviz el=srtm_138_45 col=ls2_138_45_rgb
  Update elev null mask
  gs_init_normbuff
  Out of memory - Unable to load map

At the "gs_init_normbuff" stage, the RSS is 1GB (and the 2GB of swap I
added isn't being touched). The program dies shortly thereafter. Does
anyone else experience similar problems?

What are my options, short of buying more RAM?

-- ams