[GRASSLIST:5270] Calculating linear disturbance

Trevor Wiens twiens at interbaun.com
Fri Jan 7 16:31:53 EST 2005

First, thanks to other users for you recent help with importing E00 files.

I'm now trying to determine the meters of linear disturbance in some areas of interest. For this purpose I'm using 5.4 since in 5.7 I can't use the overlay feature to cut lines with areas yet.

First, I created the areas, since my first data source is point data using v.circle to create a survey site areas file.

Next I overlayed the roads and trails seperately against the survey site areas file. I however am unsure of how to proceed.

I would like to first, be able to get the attribute data from my sites file that gives me the site ids linked to the survey sites area file. I know how to do this in  5.7 but I'm unsure in 5.4. I would then assume that once that is done, I can somehow apply those categories to the roads within the different areas. Once this is acheived, I could use v.report to get an output showing the length of linear feature for each category and I have my linear disturbance report. Later if I can get better classification of road and trail types I can also calculate area.

Any help on this one would be really great. Once I get this working I'm happy to write a little shell script that I could share for others to use if that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Trevor Wiens
twiens at interbaun.com

The significant problems that we face cannot be solved at the same
level of thinking we were at when we created them.
(Albert Einstein)