[GRASSLIST:6714] Re: OT: OpenOSX.com; Book: A Grass GIS Approach - 2nd Edition

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 01:28:03 EDT 2005

> Does anyone here have regular dealings with the folks at OpenOSX.com?
>
> Nearly 4 weeks ago, I ordered the subject book from them via their
> website, received an email message immediately thereafter announcing
> that my credit card had been charged, and yet I _still_ have not
> received the book.
>
> I tried sending an email to Jeshua Lacock <jeshua at OpenOSX.com>, who is
> listed on the web pages as the company owner a week ago and have heard
> no reply from him.
>
> I'm becoming concerned that this company may be fraudulent because I
> can't reach anyone about this order.
>
> Anyone here know these people?  Are they good folks or have I just
> given my CC number to a fly-by-night.

a quick search of the mailing list archives:

 http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2004-July/025994.html
 http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2004-July/025995.html
 http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grassuser/2004-July/026006.html
 http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2005-February/017331.html

Better Business Bureau report:
 http://www.oakland.bbb.org/commonreport.html?compid=50016

and the link to GRASS on their website continues to be broken (year+).

..... it is unfortunate to learn that problems remain resolved.

In the end (and as far as I know) I think most people received their
goods from OpenOSX so hopefully any problems the company has only has
to do with organization. I would agree though that charging a credit
card before shipping the product is rather poor practice (if that is in
fact the case; an automated email isn't always the best source of
information).

They have certainly been around for a while, helped with porting GRASS
to the Mac early on, and for what it is worth I purchased the book from
them in 2002 and it arrived without delay.

Try calling their sales number.

best of luck,
Hamish