[GRASSLIST:6784] GRASS 6 build/run problems on Linux

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Fri May 13 19:58:01 EDT 2005

I have pretty much successfully built GRASS 6 to run on Redhat Linux 7.3
with a couple of exceptions. First off, I configured with:

gdal 1.2.3
fftw 3.0.1
PostgreSQL 7.4.7
proj 4.4.9

However, problem (1) I had to configure without fftw because the
includes could not be found:

checking whether to use FFTW... yes
checking for location of FFTW includes...
/awips/rep/lx/local_apps/fftw/include
checking for fftw.h... no
checking for dfftw.h... no
configure: error: *** Unable to locate FFTW includes.

However, in the fftw install directory were:

fftw3.f  fftw3.h

Should I be using an older version of fftw? I ran the test for the
install and everything verified. OK, I *can* live without fftw.

The big problem occurs when I try to run GRASS 6, the display manager
fails to start and I get:

GRASS-GRID > Error in startup script: ps.map: error while loading shared
libraries: libgdal.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory while executing
"exec ps.map -p"
    (procedure "DmPrint::init" line 14)
    invoked from within
"DmPrint::init"
    (procedure "main" line 32)
    invoked from within
"main $argc $argv"
    (file
"/awips/rep/lx/local_apps/grass6-build/grass-6.0.0/etc/dm/d.m.tcl" line 894)

I copied the gdal libs to /usr/local/lib and made sure it was in my
path, but to no avail. I had to install gdal, fftw, proj, PostgreSQL,
and GRASS 6 in the directory /awips/rep/lx/local_apps/ due to local
admin restrictions.

GRASS 6 runs from the command line, FWIW.
Any ideas?

BTW, GRASS 5.4 installed and runs without problems.

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas E Adams