[GRASSLIST:8211] Re: MrSID and incorporating the .sdw info into resulting GeoTiff.

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Sep 8 11:15:18 EDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 05:46:00PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <caumann at ualberta.ca> flavor, containing:
> I have a bunch of .sid files that I am converting to GeoTiffs.   How
> does one incorporate the spatial location information in their
> associated .sdw file into the associate .tiff file?

Rename (or copy) the .sdw file to have the same name as the .tif you created,
but with a .tfw suffix.  gdal_translate will know that it's the world file
associated with your tif and use it.

I.e.
mrsiddecode -i FILE.sid -o FILE.tif -of tifg
cp FILE.sdw FILE.tfw
gdal_translate -of GTIFF -a_srs '+init=epsg:26712' \
        FILE.tif FILE.NAD27.tif

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster