[GRASSLIST:8266] Concurrent Versioning Systems For spatial Data

Dave Sampson gis at watersheds.ca
Tue Sep 13 14:33:33 EDT 2005

A question I posed to another group, just thought I'd spread the question

Has anyone tried using tools like CVS or SV for managing group spatial data?

 There are many ways that this can work. I have used many manual methods
 with ESRI shp files and this relies on one central person for merging
 changes and doing QC. This method also causeas a bottle neck in the
 production line.

 Could there be a method requiring fewer changes? I suppose that if you
 ever want to confirm the changes or diff the files then an open format
 like XML or GML might work better than a proprietary format like SHP.

 With many more environments becoming colaborative it would make sense to
 have a structured environment for keeping track of changes rather than
 moving a file around through common shared space, to someones local
 files system and then backing up the old file and replacing the current
 working copy with the file that was just edited.

one environment of particular interest would be managing public community datasets. eg if yiou have a vector layer of bike paths, how can mutilple bikers add to the original dataset.

 Perhaps there are similarities with working together on a shared multi
 user DB like postgres. I can see it for diplaying data for multi users, but what about
 production environments?

 Just thought I would toss out the idea/question.

 Cheers

|Dave Sampson: Geographic Information System (GIS) Technician	|
|Centre for Sustainable Watersheds				|
|Cooperative Approaches to Protect Canada's Water Resources	|
|14 Water St, P.O Box 280. Portland Ontario, Canada. K0G 1V0	|
|Lat: 44.700	Long: -76.19					|
|www.watersheds.ca		gis at watersheds.ca		|