[GRASSLIST:8362] v.digit baaad (was: Editing data in GUI)

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at epf.pl
Tue Sep 20 12:57:49 EDT 2005

Hamish wrote:
>'d.what.vect -e' is by far the easiest way.

It seems Hardeep wants to move his points as well, not only edit attributes.
Then he has to use QGIS Grass digitizer or v.digit.

> For me, v.digit has never been /that/ bad.. I've used it quite a bit and
> only had a crash after digitizing ~600 points in one session while at
> the same time displaying the same points with d.vect in a background
> command. Makes me wonder if there is something with your setup that
> triggers a bug that I don't see?

Maybe it is that you are on Debian and propably using tcl/tk 8.3, while I
being on Mandrake have to use 8.4? But even if that's a good guess, and even
if I could use 8.3, it would be no solution. Grass should adapt to new
tcl/tk, not the other way round I think.

As to freezing, I recall it happens (really often), when editing or querying
attributes, as well as in v.digit as in "d.what.vect -e".

Form lib was pretty operational in 5.7. During 6.0 developement something
went really wrong there (http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2927). A
fix by Radim was applied which fixed the "broken piping", but maybe it has
introduced freezing as an sideeffect? I also remember that in Mandrake 9.2 I
never had problems with form lib in 5.7, while in Mandrake 10.1 same 5.7
vesions wher less stable in form GUI mode. So it might be something changed
in tcl/tk between Mandrake 9.2 and 10.1 and Grass tcl/tk code doesn't take
this change into account. These are just my naive gueeses.

As to crashing, it happens particulary when zooming in and out much. Which,
I suppose, it is related to the fact that v.digit changes the region
resolution during zooming. Take a look at:
http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3047&display=History
http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=3164&display=History
http://intevation.de/rt/webrt?serial_num=2962&display=History

I'm affraid I won't be able to provide more details unless there is someone
willing to take care of these and needs some assistance. Because on a daily
basis I avoid v.digit for serious work, too much problems (it freezes, you
have to kill it, rebuild topology, run it once more, it freezes, ... ).
Luckily it has never damaged my data for real - I wonder if it could?

Maciek