[GRASSLIST:663] Re: off topic: backing up huge mapsets

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Tue Apr 11 12:11:25 EDT 2006

tar --help:

  Device selection and switching:

   -f, --file=ARCHIVE         use archive file or device ARCHIVE
       --force-local          archive file is local even if has a colon
   -F, --info-script=NAME, --new-volume-script=NAME
                              run script at end of each tape (implies -M)
   -L, --tape-length=NUMBER   change tape after writing NUMBER x 1024 bytes
   -M, --multi-volume         create/list/extract multi-volume archive
       --rmt-command=COMMAND  use given rmt COMMAND instead of rmt
       --rsh-command=COMMAND  use remote COMMAND instead of rsh
       --volno-file=FILE      use/update the volume number in FILE

... so options -L and -M should be what you are looking for?

Benjamin

--
Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik