[GRASS-user] Too many maps!

NISHIDA, Kenlo kenlo at sakura.cc.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Jul 18 20:43:41 EDT 2006

Dear GRASS users:

I am using GRASS 6.1 on FedoraCore 5 Linux.

I need to handle lots of maps. Now my maps count more than
32000. Because my current file system (ext3) cannot store
more than 32000 links in an i-node, my "PERMANENT" mapset
is getting overflow.

I know some file systems such as Reiser do not have such a
limit, and I know it is a good option which I may need to
choose, but could you please tell me any other options?

For example, if I can handle several mapsets at a time
(not only PERMANENT and one user-mapset), it will be easy.
Do you know any ways to handle several mapsets ( such as 10
or 20 mapsets) at a time?