[GRASSLIST:195] trouble using v.in.ascii

Vishal Mehta vishalm1975 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 01:00:50 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm trying to bring in a comma separated text file as a point vector file in
GRASS using v.in.ascii, before i try to link it to a large 33Mb dbf data
file.

The csv file looks like this with 39 rows and i removed the header because
grass60 (on Ubuntu breezy) does not have the skip option in the
v.in.asciicommand: the columns are WMOID, cityname, Latitude and
Longitude. I want to
use the WMOID as 'cat' in order to link my dbf data later.

420710,AMRITSAR,31.63,74.86
421010,PATIALA,30.33,76.46
421310,HISSAR,29.16,75.73
421820,DELHI,28.58,77.20
423390,JODHPUR,26.30,73.01
423480,JAIPUR,26.81,75.80
423690,LUCKNOW,26.75,80.88
424100,GAUHATI,26.10,91.58

I Tried the following command and got the error:

 cat reformat/STATIONS2.dat | v.in.ascii output=stations2 fs=','
columns='cat int, name(varchar(30), y double, x double' x=4 y=3 cat=1
WARNING: DOS text format found, attempting import anyway
Maximum input row length: 39
Maximum number of columns: 4
Minimum number of columns: 4
column: 1  type: integer
column: 2  type: string  length: 18
column: 3  type: double
column: 4  type: double
DBMI-DBF driver error:
SQL parser error in statement:
create table stations2 ( cat int, name(varchar(30), x double, y double )
Error in db_execute_immediate()

ERROR: Cannot create table: create table stations2 ( cat int,
       name(varchar(30), x double, y double )

I also get the same error with

v.in.ascii input=reformat/STATIONS.csv output=gstations fs=','  skip=1
columns='cat int, label(varchar(30), y double, x double' x=4 y=3 cat=1

help!
vishal

www.people.cornell.edu/pages/vkm2