[GRASSLIST:226] Re: Problems starting GRASS

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri Mar 17 15:27:15 EST 2006

Michael Rensing wrote:

> After running GRASS for several weeks, I set up a batch command to
> process something that took a couple of days. Now I'm trying to run
> GRASS from a terminal window, and it seems to have lost my settings.
> When I identify the database in the Data Selection window (GRASSDATA)
> all the mapsets appear, but when I try to open them, I get "Warning:
> This is not a valid mapset", even for the spearfish60 mapset.
>
> HELP! Does anyone have any idea what's going on, or what I can do to
> identify the problem?

That message seems to correspond to this code:

            if {[file exists "$database/$location/PERMANENT/WIND"] == 0} {
                DialogGen .wrnDlg "WARNING: not a mapset" warning "Warning: This is not \
                a valid mapset" \
                0 OK;
            }

Check that PERMANENT and PERMANENT/WIND exist within the location
directory, and that all of the directories have sane permissions.