[GRASSLIST:379] Re: SRTM coastline sharpening

Carlos "Guâno" Grohmann carlos.grohmann at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 11:20:04 EST 2006

This site also offers SRTM processed data:

http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/index.asp

Carlos

On 3/25/06, William Kyngesburye <woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> I don't know what to do about the GSHHS coastlines off the top of my
> head, but if you use the version 2 SRTM, that's all taken care of.
> It's had all ocean areas identified and flat-filled with 0 elevation,
> and many lakes have also been identified and flat-filled with the
> lake elevation.  No more noise in the water areas.  There are also
> polygon shapefiles of the mask used to do this.
>

> On Mar 25, 2006, at 1:09 AM, Luigi Ponti wrote:
>
> > Dear list,
> >
> > Following the GRASSNews_vol3 article on SRTM import, I was trying
> > to sharpen coastlines using GSHHS shapefiles. However, the imported
> > GSHHS vectors are just lines and not areas. Therefore I do not know
> > how to generate a raster MASK, because there is no area for
> > v.to.rast to produce a filled raster coverage.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help,
> >
> > Luigi
> >
> > --
> > GRASS6/cygwin user
> >

> -----
> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at kyngchaos.com>
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>
> "History is an illusion caused by the passage of time, and time is an
> illusion caused by the passage of history."
>
> - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

              Carlos Henrique Grohmann - Guano
  Geologist M.Sc  - Doctorate Student at IGc-USP - Brazil
Linux User #89721  - carlos dot grohmann at gmail dot com
"Good morning, doctors. I have taken the liberty of removing Windows
95 from my hard drive."
--The winning entry in a "What were HAL's first words" contest judged
by 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY creator Arthur C. Clarke