[GRASS-user] System architecture for running GRASS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 02:44:11 EDT 2006

> The business is in the process of setting up its computer system and I
> want to ensure that we have considered the needs of the GIS as it will
> be a core part of the business.
> My wish list includes;
> > storing all data in Postgresql
> > database (and therefore data) is accessible to all users on the
> > network database is available for other applications ie MapServer ec
>
> I would appreciate feedback from users who are using GRASS in a
> similar, networked environment and how they have implemented it. At
> this stage all desktop computers will be running Windows.
> I think it would be best to run linux on the server (what flavour is
> another quesiton ie GISKnoppix/GISDebian - ready made system or is it
> better to use an alternative and install applications myself?). The
> server can still act as a central fileserver using Samba. To access
> GRASS I could use a terminal server, this way all processing is done
> on the server with the data, rather than relying on the network etc.
> I am skeptical about running GRASS under cygwin, my main concerns
> relate to storing and accessing data in the postgresql database on the
> server.

Get them to buy you a fancy widescreen Mac :) Software costs negate the
hardware costs, and (Freely upgradable) software doesn't depreciate in
value with time like a hardware investment does.

I don't think Windows is a practical option for a complex server.
You could probably get something to work, but it would probably be
hobbled.

Linux as a company wide server (but in practice used 95% by you) is
probably an easier sell to their support staff than "I feel the need to
be different". Better chance of a stronger machine that way as well ;)
You might get a second machine for your desk too, and if it is UNIXy
tunnel X over ssh to connect in with full graphics.

GRASS over a text based ssh link (Putty on Windows) into a Linux box
works ok. A couple little scripts to use the PNG driver & serve the
graphics over a web server works in a pinch, but I wouldn't want to do
it every day. Interactive GIS without graphics is..... harder.

Debian + DebianGIS packages & backports are well supported.
  http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl
GISKnoppix (debian based) is fine for a play, but you'll want a full &
tuned install. The world changes too fast for Knoppix & preinstalled
systems to keep up, IMO.

Hamish

ps - Did I mention, "get them to buy you a fancy widescreen Mac"?