[GRASS-user] System architecture for running GRASS

David Finlayson david.p.finlayson at gmail.com
Thu May 25 03:04:20 EDT 2006

On 5/24/06, Hamish <hamish_nospam at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Linux as a company wide server (but in practice used 95% by you) is
> probably an easier sell to their support staff than "I feel the need to
> be different". Better chance of a stronger machine that way as well ;)
> You might get a second machine for your desk too, and if it is UNIXy
> tunnel X over ssh to connect in with full graphics.
>
> GRASS over a text based ssh link (Putty on Windows) into a Linux box
> works ok. A couple little scripts to use the PNG driver & serve the
> graphics over a web server works in a pinch, but I wouldn't want to do
> it every day. Interactive GIS without graphics is..... harder.

I frequently connect to our Linux machines from my windows laptop and
run GRASS over an ssh tunnel. Works great. On a fast connection there
is little difference between running it native or tunneling the
display. This is a perfect use of Cygwin on windows.

Another alternative is to use the Remote desktop clients that come
with many linux distros now days. You can remote in and drive the
desktop directly. VNC works OK, FreeNX is amazing good. I could even
use our servers over a modem when tunneling X would have been
prohibitively slow.

There are pluses and minuses to both methods.

--
David Finlayson