[GRASS-user] Re: [Qgis-user] Basic GIS course ideas

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at ufg.uni-kiel.de
Mon Oct 9 03:34:00 EDT 2006

I agree, a dedicated site for teaching open source GIS would
be the best idea, since there are so many components involved
here: GRASS, QGIS, R, PostgreSQL, ParaView, ...

I have attached a draft text about GRASS and QGIS for archaeologists.
It also contains a general introduction to GIS concepts and file
formats.

Obviously, it needs to be generalized, so that it applies to all
GIS users equalla, and there are still a lot of blanks to fill in.

But it's considerably more fleshed out than what is on the Wiki so
far. Maybe it's a start ...

Benjamin

Sören Gebbert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hamish schrieb:

>>> no, currently it doesn't support uploads, documents (pdf, images, ...)
>>> have to be stored somewhere else.
>>

>> create a quasi-liberal access area in gforce GRASS svn? or better,
>> create a new project on gforge for "open_gis_edu" or similar.
>>   http://wald.intevation.org/projects/grass/
>

> Thats a great idea.
> Can we use this place to put video tutorials online?
> I just created a very simple gui feature demo with grass63
> to encourage all users and dev's to create video tutorials.
>
> http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/grass/modules/screenshots/grass63feature_tour.html
>

> It would be great to have many thematic video tutorials
> to explain the basics and advanced features of grass.
>
> Best regards
> Soeren
>

>> Hamish

Benjamin Ducke, M.A.
Archäoinformatik
(Archaeoinformation Science)
Institut für Ur- und Frühgeschichte
(Inst. of Prehistoric and Historic Archaeology)
Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel
Johanna-Mestorf-Straße 2-6
D 24098 Kiel
Germany