[GRASS-user] Re: [Qgis-user] Basic GIS course ideas

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 16 08:43:58 EDT 2006

[sorry for the mass-post; this probably deserves its own mailing list, or
be moved to the freegis.org mailing list ??]
  http://intevation.de/mailman/listinfo/freegis-list

The Thread so far:
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.user/15804

Benjamin Ducke wrote:
> I agree, a dedicated site for teaching open source GIS would
> be the best idea, since there are so many components involved
> here: GRASS, QGIS, R, PostgreSQL, ParaView, ...
>
> I have attached a draft text about GRASS and QGIS for archaeologists.
> It also contains a general introduction to GIS concepts and file
> formats.

I don't know how the various people who run these sites feel about it :),
but natural homes for Open-GIS-Edu documentation, video tutorials,
presentaions, PDFs, etc. could be:

OSGeo Library
  http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Library
  https://visibilitycommittee.osgeo.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList

A new open_gis_edu project on Intevation's Gforge server?
  http://wald.intevation.org/

A new open_gis_edu area at freegis.org? (again hosted by Intevation)
  http://freegis.org/database/index_html?cat=3&full=n&order=i

If large video files etc are to be uploaded, access must be restricted
to known folks/caretakers in a CVS or SVN (or similar) system and hosts
have to be generous enough to serve the bandwidth.

I think the GRASS wiki is a fine place to collect links, text documents
and small still images until such time something more formal is set up.

regards,
Hamish