[GRASS-user] raster to vector conversion

Tom Miewald tmiewald at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 03:07:14 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to convert raster to vector in GRASS
without the smoothing.  I want to keep the "blocky" look of the raster
boundaries to their original pixel extents.  I find too much detail is lost
with the smoothing.  Are there any other open source methods to do this if
not in GRASS.  Thanks !
Tom

from the GRASS help: "To produce a better-looking vector map,
*r.to.vect*smoothes the corners of the vector data as they are being
extracted. At each
change in direction (i.e., each corner), the two midpoints of the corner
cell (half the cell's height and width) are taken, and the line segment
connecting them is used to outline this corner in the resultant vector map.
(The cell's cornermost node is ignored.) Because vectors are smoothed by
this program, the resulting vector map will not be "true" to the raster map
from which it was created. The user should check the resolution of the
geographic region (and the original data) to estimate the possible error
introduced by smoothing."